Monday, February 4, 2008

Cheaters Never Prosper

Boy, I heard that saying a lot when I was growing up. I don't know exactly where it comes from, other than my mom. However, now I have the chance to share it with my 11 year old son, now that the outcome of the SuperBowl is known. He doesn't know many of the details about what is being called "Spy-Gate" in the press. All he knows is that the Patriots "cheated" and because of that, he wanted the Giants to win. It probably helped that Eli is Peyton's brother, and my son is a Colts and Chargers fan. Now I can use the SuperBowl to illustrate that time tested principle. I don't have to worry about explaining that there are circumstances where "cheaters" will win anyway, that maybe they just aren't getting caught, and that the end justifies the means. That would certainly make things complicated.

How much better it is now that the Giants won! Things are incredibly easy for even an 11 year old to understand. Justice has been served. So, now when I explain the concept and pass along that saying that has been handed down through the generations, he will understand it well. Now, if I can only find out where it comes from....

No comments: