Thursday, July 16, 2009

My KFC Diatribe

We went on vacation for 2 weeks in the Orlando area and rented a 6 bedroom vacation home. We arrived Sunday afternoon after driving part of the way on Saturday. Arriving at the house about 5 pm, we decided that we would get KFC and bring it back to the house, eat dinner, and then do the grocery shopping afterwards.

I looked up the nearest KFC on my phone using the Verizon VZ Navigator program. I like it a lot although it will tend to lose the GPS signal periodically. I tried typing in Kentucky Fried Chicken, but couldn’t find one. I knew we had passed one and wanted to know if there was a closer location since it was about 6 miles away. So I typed in KFC and found it. I don’t know what it is with all the abbreviations these days. McD, KFC, RBK, MTN Dew. I’m a little older and remember when “Mountain” and all the others used to be spelled out. I guess you save some money when you don’t use vowels.

Anyway, I went to the KFC and got a 20 piece meal with 5 large sides. Half original recipe and half grilled. I like the grilled chicken. I just wish the pieces at KFC were bigger. It’s like they are serving Cornish Hens or pygmy chickens. Well, after driving back to the house, I discovered that they had left out the large potato wedges. I wasn’t too happy. I called the number on the receipt, and they said if I came back, I could get them.

So, I drove back to Store #W750261 at 5680 W US Highway 192 in Kissimmee, Florida to pick up my large potato wedges. When I got there, the young man acted put out that I would bother to come back and get something I had paid. Boy, was I annoyed. You would think they would have offered me something for my trouble. It certainly wasn’t my mistake. Plus, they were out of ketchup. How does a fast food restaurant run out of ketchup? Come on.

I am really upset about the quality of customer service in the United States today. Maybe it has something to do with the younger generation that typically works in fast food? I just don’t know. But, I have to double check my orders frequently and will often find mistakes. I should have known better and should have checked the order myself. I thought about calling the toll free number on the receipt and offering my comments. Rather, I decided to post this diatribe. I will probably have more of an impact and definitely makes me fell better.

No comments: