Thursday, January 3, 2008

Coach Roland Dies

I was saddened to learn last night that my college football coach, Dennis Roland, passed away after a battle with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I never played football until college. We were at a small college and nobody was cut from the team, but Coach Roland allowed me to try my hand at something new. I appreciated that more than I can describe. I never felt as though I was very athletic, although I was fairly quick. I was second quickest on the team behind the starting tailback (I could run a under a 4.4 40 yd dash and had a 36 inch vertical but wasn't very big). I worked hard and ended up on the kickoff coverage team my sophomore year.

Anyway, Coach Roland was a big guy but not profoundly obese. He was tall and wide. He had played offensive lineman in his day. It turns out he was only 11 years older than I am although in college every adult seems somewhat ancient. He had a knack of inspiring people to do their best without being degrading to his players. I think that was his biggest asset. He also surrounded himself with coaches who shared that philosophy of motivation through positive reinforcement. You just wanted to go out and give everything you had because you wanted to do your best for him, not because you were afraid, but you just didn't want to disappoint him.

I had heard he was somewhat ill about a month ago, but didn't realize he had cancer. I regret not having called him. I don't know what it would have done. I like remembering him as young and strong on the football field. I feel like a little part of me has passed with him, but I will always remember. Even though I hadn't seen him in a long time, I will miss him. My prayers will be going out to his family.

No comments: